Monday, July 14, 2014

Grace and Beauty

On any given day, I can be spotted transporting my three small children around Aquidneck Island.  We go to the beach, we visit relatives, and we run errands.  I wear one of the babies in an Ergo, and the other shares  a double BOB stroller with his big brother. The people we meet stare for a moment, while they reassure themselves that yes, this mother is vastly outnumbered by her babies.

"Well, you have your hands full, haven't you?" they say. "How on earth do you do it?"  
I respond with an oft-rehearsed line about loving motherhood, and accepting help from friends and family.

  I don't take the time to explain what I mean by help.  Much of it is given consciously and willingly; smiling friends and family who cuddle my babies and entertain my wild toddler, and who shower me with strength and support.  Sometimes, however, the help is not so obvious.  Some of my benefactors work as a role models, unaware that they are spreading strength and inspiration into my heart.

In an effort to better answer those who are curious about where I find the strength to care for my three little men, I've decided to write a series: "Grace and Beauty." Each post will honor a woman whose grace and beauty have filtered into my life, and transformed into courage and guidance.  I would like to say I will post weekly, but it may be that fate has other plans for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment