Monday, July 14, 2014

Grace and Beauty: Leslie C


Sounds of laughter filtered through the open windows of our nursery.  Neighborhood children were enjoying the stretch of the summer sunlight into evening hours, as I tucked my children into bed for the night.  Our neighborhood is small, and I easily recognized the voices.  With Jaime in my arms, I leaned the rocking chair toward the window, and watched a very pretty little girl with freckles, and a giant bow in her hair, drag a puppy along the sidewalk. 

"Come on!" She said to the dog, with exasperation, encouragement, and love in her voice.  Her friends stood by, waiting, until finally the little girl, who is Leslie C's daughter, decided to adjust her tactic, and asked her friends to go get her brother.  A few moments later, he appeared, and together they lugged the obstinate puppy home.  I smiled at the sight of the two siblings working together, and said a little prayer that my three children would grow to be as kind and loving to one another as the C's children.  

A few hours later, Cameron woke, screaming, because he had soaked through his diaper.  I pulled him out of bed, and began a fruitless search for a clean sheet.  I looked at the pile of laundry spilling out of the bathroom closet, and sighed in defeat.  I lugged out the pack n play, and set it up in our bedroom.  I changed my son and set him in it.  We all slept fitfully in our unfamiliar surroundings.  

At first light, we surrendered and started our day.  I was exhausted, and Cameron was cranky.  I decided that the boys and I would hide away inside, in our pajamas all day long.  I excused us from life on account of my having so many small children to look after; of course things like laundry fall by the wayside, and sometimes that means lazy days.  I grabbed some leftover pizza for my breakfast, and tossed Tristan a banana and sippy cup of milk.  As we munched, Tristan played with his toys, and the twins rolled around on the floor.  I sleepily perused Facebook.   An update from the Groovy Gator, Leslie C's children's boutique, caught my eye.  A group of cheerful children, clad in adorable, bright-colored clothing hung around a lifeguard chair.  The status announced that the shop was open, and ready for shoppers. 

I glanced at my three children.  I didn't need to go to the Groovy Gator, because their perfect beach-ready outfits were already hanging over a laundry basket; Leslie had brought them to us a few weeks earlier.  I thought about Leslie, and her beautiful, kind children.  She's raising three kids while running a business, and launching a clothing line.  Suddenly, my excuses seemed absurd.  I dropped the pizza and put on my bathing suit.  I dressed the kids in their Groovy outfits, and away we went.

A few hours later, when a friend of my mother's saw us at the beach, she asked me how I possibly did anything with three children so small, and so close in age. I responded with my usual line about having lots of help.  In my mind, I was thinking of the beauty and grace of the life of Leslie C. and how it made my own challenges and responsibilities seem so small, and inspired me to face life with enthusiasm and joy.  


No comments:

Post a Comment